South Street in Exeter is mostly filled with estate agent’s, low-rent restaurants and The George’s Meeting House, the better Wetherspoons pub in Exeter by far. Such other delights include a couple of churches, a KFC and some ruins. It is the average bit of Exeter which, every Thursday transforms itself with the Farmer’s Market.
For foodies are quite spoilt for choice in Exeter. Darts Farm lies just outside Exeter, and within easy driving distance there is a whole load of organic farm shops and nice place to buy nice things. But for those who can’t get out to the sticks, the Farmer’s Market showcases some of the best local produce that you can grab with your foody mits.
When I popped down for a nose around a couple of weeks ago, I bumped in to an old family friend. Vic who runs Random Cottage remembered me and with this I couldn’t help by a large chunk of Random Cottage’s Afterburner Cheese.
So here is a list of producers who appear at the Exeter Farmers’s Market either weekly or occasionally.
- Sweetland’s – pies and pasties from Honiton
- Higher Hacknell – organic meats from Umberleigh
- Bread of Devon – from Exeter
- Linscombe Farm – organic vegetables from Sandford, Crediton
- The Old Watch House – fishmonger from Lyme Regis
- Blackaller Apiary – honey from Bovey Tracey
- Sue’s Home Baking from Okehampton
- Farmhouse Pies & Pasties from Silverton
- SB Stanbury – venison & game from Tedburn St Mary
- Random Cottage – local cheeses
- Milltop Orchard – apple juice and fresh fruit from Chudleigh
- Nourish –
- Gratton & Oldridge – preserves and chutneys from Chulmleigh
- Poole Farm – producers of pork products
- Otter Valley Poultry – chicken, duck and seasonal turkey from Honiton
- Random Cottage – fresh eggs are sourced from Rosamondford Farm, Perkins Village, Exeter
- Norsworthy Dairy Goats – hard and soft goats cheese.
- South Ham Lamb from Sandford
- Maia Moss – Middle Eastern Deli
- Annie’s Cakes – Cupcakes
- Gardners Delight – fresh fruit from Bude
- Bocaddon Farm Veal – welfare friendly
- Moonbeams – rare breed Gloucester old spot pork from Wellington
- Gara Barton – Farmed venison
- Emma’s Bread – from Shillingford Abbot
- Shillingford Organics – Organic Fruit & Veg from Shillingford Abbot
- Exeter Brewery – from Exminster