Timothy is the Senior Chef de Partie at The Idle Rocks Hotel in St Mawes, Cornwall, working under Head Chef, Guy Owen. At the time of entry into South West Chef of the Year, Tim was working at Rick Stein’s Seafood Restaurant in Padstow.
As South West Young Professional Chef 2016, Tim went on to compete in the semi-final of the Craft Guild of Chefs National Young Chef of the Year competition last month.
Of this delicious salad recipe, Tim says “this is a great recipe which transports you to the Mediterranean. The tomatoes are amazing this time of year as they are so sweet, the watermelon and cucumber give it freshness and the feta gives the dish a great fat coating. For someone who doesn’t like tomatoes I would eat this dish all day long with a nice Pinot Grigio!”
Heritage Tomato Salad – Watermelon, Pickled Cucumber, Shallot and Feta Pannacota
Mixed heritage tomatoes – skins removed
Pickled cucumber balls
Micro red basil
100g Soya milk
100g Double cream
½ lemon zest and juice
1 ½ gelatine leafs
- Bring the soya and double cream to the boil
- Take off the heat and add the feta, gelatine leaf and lemon
- Place the liquid into a blender until smooth
- Pour in to your mould and place into the fridge until set
50g white wine
50g white wine vinegar
- Place all of the ingredients into a pan and bring to the boil
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly
- Pour over your ingredients
Don’t forget! Entries for this year’s South West Chef of the Year close Monday 31st July – read more about it here and get entering!