Liam Steevenson MW has collaborated with Exeter’s most beautiful townhouse hotel to curate an exceptional new wine list, dubbed ‘When A Friend Makes Your Wine’. The list of eight wines includes six wines created by Liam himself, plus two of his all-time favourites.
Having initially made his reputation as a wine merchant and buyer, including a stint as Senior Wine Buyer for Waitrose, Liam has in recent years turned his energy to the creation of fine wines, and he now works with vineyards from around the world to produce a collection of boutique, artisanal wines that reflect the local terroir and indigenous varietals, made using traditional and sometimes innovative techniques.
Liam Steevenson MW comments: ‘I’ve always regarded Southernhay House as the height of elegance, and a beautiful setting in which to enjoy contemporary dining and a bottle of something special. So I am very proud to have been invited to present this new wine list, which is very personal to me and brings together the wines I have made myself around the world.’
Deborah Clark, who owns Southernhay House with her husband Tony Orchard, has followed Liam’s rise in the world of wine in recent years, and believes the ‘When A Friend Makes Your Wine’ list is an inspiring addition to Southernhay’s wine offering. ‘The property was built at the beginning of the 19th century for a trader who worked for the East India Company,’ says Deborah, ‘and has been associated with travel and adventure ever since. We are specially excited to see Liam’s new Syrah from India on the list, which fits perfectly with the spirit of Southernhay House.’
Liam’s wines are from France, Spain, New Zealand and India, priced from £26.00 to £42.00 per bottle, and include:
• Immortelle, Côtes de Roussillon Villages 2016 – Liam’s first venture into the world of wine making, with grapes hand harvested from Grenache, Carignan, Syrah and Mourvèdre
• L’Abeille, Picpoul de Pinet 2017 – which Liam describes as ‘saline and bone-dry’
• El Garbi from the Terra Alta in Spain, 2016 – ‘tight, elegant and restrained – a rich and opulent wine’
• From Nashik, an ancient holy city in western India, comes Yaatra (Hindi for ‘journey’ or ‘pilgrimage’) – a fascinating and intense Syrah with ‘an incredible depth of flavour’
• The list also includes two of Liam’s personal favourites – an aromatic Verdejo from Rueda in Spain, and a Sicilian Nero d’Avola – which Liam describes as ‘unmissable superstars’
Southernhay House is located at 36 Southernhay East, Exeter, EX1 1NX for further information visit www.southernhayhouse.com, follow on twitter @SouthernhayHome, like them on Facebook @southernhayhouse or Instagram @southernhayhousehotel.